Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Ugh

I'm finding out more and more how much of an are of contention is with people as compared to something like the visual arts. Something I find more and more often is that it is extremely easy to share say, a drawing or painting with a person than it is a piece of music. You can just share an image with a person and they can glance at it but if you want to show a person a song that you did they have to take time and effort to experience it, and often times when people have musician friends they're really not into what they're doing at all and try to be supportive even though it could be a thing that they hate.

So I guess you could say the answer is, "Well Bryan if you don't want to bother your buddies with your stuff why not just post online and wait?" Sure that's great, but nine times out of ten when a person just kind of shares their music out there it's extremely unlikely that people will comment or even give it the time of day. Not to mention the fact that on the fucking internet the people who usually speak up are people who think they have everything thing figured out and they just tell you that you're a piece of shit and suck and that you should quit.

All of this just makes me feel so devalued in what I'm doing. I love making music, playing music makes me happy and makes me want to get out of bed in the morning, but if no one cares. I don't know. Why try to share myself with people when most will just dismiss it as trite and meaningless? Or just something that they don't like, or something that they don't get because they feel too stupid to comprehend it.

I feel so confused

No comments:

Post a Comment